06 April, 2009

Ah, too easy


Well, Passover is a-comin, and for some, that means Spring cleaning. Spring cleaning may or may not involve spiffing up your home, which is why most large grocery stores have all sorts of linens, dishes, appliances, and other household stuff on sale now. Me, I was just looking for basic matza-type items.

Yes, my youngest daughter and I were shopping in Jerusalem this evening.
We had just begun, when we found ourselves walking by the small appliances section. As I was explaining the potential fun of having a juicer, I suddenly spotted this:


Okay, kettle/kettel - mildly funny. Ridiculous that it wasn't proofed by someone who actually speaks English, but as far as blunders go, not tremendous. I know.

But that one was next to this one:


Ha! That one qualifies is my book as pretty funny - no questions asked. And so, I went on to continue my shopping, more relaxed than most people in the store, content in having captured some humor.

But then - just before we arrived at the dairy section, I happened across this one. It doesn't have any typos that I could find (aside from the random capitalization and hyphen, of course), but I think it's even funnier:

I probably should have bought this, come to think of it. Automatic health? Isn't that everyone's dream?

Happy Passover, everyone!

7 comments:

Nechama said...

You know, with the multitude of olim over there, they have NO excuse. On second thought: Maybe there's a market for a freelance English proofreading consultant?

Anonymous said...

Too, too funny. You don't even have to look for these things anymore, do you? They just keep popping up everywhere.
On a related note, did you know that a village in England has banned the apostrophe? They think it's too much trouble...
Mom

toby said...

Nechama - I would take that job in a heartbeat! The trouble is, the typos don't actually seem to bother anyone but me, so there's not much of a market...

Anonymous Mom - that's wacky! No apostrophe? How does it work?

MAOZ said...

"...the typos dont actually seem to bother anyone but me, so theres not much...

Anonymous Mom - thats wacky! No apostrophe? How does it work?"


There, fixed it for ya ... until they decide to also ban commas, exclamation points and question marks.

toby said...

MAOZ - thanks for your help :)
I suppose if they ban ALL of those, they'll be all set to come over here...

Anonymous said...

These products are not made in Israel. They are probaly made in China - I agree that there is no excuse for the anyone not to check spelling and usage but these packages do not even have Hebrew thus not made in Israel.

toby said...

Anonymous - I try to enjoy what I find funny, no matter where it's from! A lot of my previous postings have been from non-Israeli countries, and some were even photographed in America. I do think that one is less likely to find these kinds of items on supermarket shelves in a native-English speaking country, though :)