08 September, 2008

Sometimes they're just too easy...


So I needed to buy some iron supplements. No big deal. There were a few options, and I happened to grab one that I hadn't seen before.


For those who can't read Hebrew, it says, "Barzel Adif." Barzel is easy, that's iron. Adif is a word I personally would translate as "preferred," but I'm no language expert. Maybe Barzel Adif is actually a technical term for a particular kind of iron. Any doctors or nutrition experts out there know?

Anyway, it seems that the manufacturer was equally unsure. Here's the other side of the package:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! Like you said...
Mom

Imshin said...

Oh funny,I just got that for my Youngest. I reckoned it was just a positive sounding commercial name - like 'Ideal Home, to make it stand out among the other products.

toby said...

Wow, imshin, what an honor to have you here! I really enjoy your blog, and have wanted to tell you so for some time, but it's hard, with the closed comments :)

Anyway, you're obviously a much more generous judge of this box than I. In my head, either you're translating or transliterating, but to combine the two isn't terribly professional...

Leah Goodman said...

I understood it to be the "preferred iron" for those of us with sensitive digestion systems.

Maybe because that's what the pharmacist told me :)

toby said...

triLcat - so first of all, although that's what the woman at the counter told me too, it's not quite as sensitive as some of us might like. Pricey though it is, Solgar is the only way to go :)

And I agree with your assumption - in casual conversation, I'm more guilty than most of slipping Hebrew into my English. I can certainly envision myself plopping the word adif into an English sentence, just because it fits, and I'm lazy. But generally, the guys translating these boxes aren't meant to be quite so casual - the customer who needs barzel translated is likely to need adif as well...
No?