08 June, 2011

A little help from my friends - once again

You know, growing up as a nerdy little kid, I really never expected to have fans of any kind. And now, lucky me, people from all over Israel (and all over the world, for that matter) keep sending me goofy typos that they've come across. I can never decide whether or not it's a good thing that people think of me when faced with bad grammar and ridiculous signage, but it is what it is. I've decided to accept it as a positive thing! And it makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only one who notices this stuff... :)

And so, with no further ado, here are some interesting items that I've received. First up is from Daniela, who reviews Israeli food products on her blog - always helpful! She found this at KFC in the Malcha mall in Jerusalem:

When I put patates into Google Translate (our favorite website - check out here why it's even cooler than we thought) it popped up as the Turkish word for potatoes. I'm pretty sure that it's the same thing in French, which makes sense here, but it definitely is not English. Hey - maybe the whole thing is French? That would actually be pretty progressive. Whatever, this looked like a mess to Daniela, and I'm inclined to agree. Thanks for sending it in!

Second - here's another gem from Mirj, my longtime reader and online pal. She had a culinary adventure right around Valentine's Day, and found this funky sign in the restaurant bathroom:


Thankfully, she had her camera handy. I love this sign - thanks, Mirj!

And lastly, here are two funny search pop-ups from my dear husband, the Balashon:

A sad, sad commentary on our world. But if you think that's bad, try this one:


Why, yes, I did mean doogle dots, that's exactly what we were looking for! However did you guess?

Thanks, everyone - keep these coming! 

Oh, and for more sign photography, check out Lesley's meme right now, at Signs, Signs. Have a great day, everyone!

11 comments:

Postcardy said...

So, what are doogle dots? when I searched for them, Google wanted to know if I meant doodle dots.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

The "patates" sign made me so curious that I went googling for the word....an amazing array of things popped up, even a recipe for a two-crust potato pie "Pate Aux Patates". I do love potatoes!

Pat said...

Wow - that place had more problems than plumbing....including spelling! Don't throw wet toilet paper? Was there supposed to be a comma after that? That is too funny!

Joy said...

I seem to remember the Greek word for potato is something like that as well, which is also a country of problematic plumbing, but great people.

Lesley said...

Interestingly, just for fun, I googled 'plunbing' and it didn't ask if I meant anything else, just went straight to plumbing, so I clicked on plunbing again and got all kinds of places that can't spell their own business!

love all your contributions, Toby.

EG CameraGirl said...

These made me smile, Toby! :))

Gemma Wiseman said...

Hilarious combination of crazy signs! But the one that really was weird was the Google Docs mix up!

genie said...

I think I might be a bit hesitant to use toss facilities. Quite the emphatic sign. Not a good situation.

Daniela said...

I'm flattered to see you included my "patates" fries container photo on your blog. Thank you.
The other blunders in this post are really great, as always:)
Thank you so much for including a link to my blog.

Mirj said...

Aren't Doogle Dots those weird candies sold in huge boxes in American movie theaters? ;-)

Kim, USA said...

Hahaha as always your signs are funny. In the Philippines we call potatoes 'PATATAS' not too far from patates huh? Thanks for sharing!

Signs