22 September, 2007

Hello, everybody

Well, here goes nothing. I'm not a very prolific writer (ask anybody I've managed to keep in touch with over the past 34 years), but I did recently purchase a new camera that I'm very fond of - I thought that perhaps any of you who wanted to see what's going through my mind could do so visually, as opposed to lingually. So, with that brave introduction, here's a picture that I finally managed to take of my favorite sign of all time. See if you can figure out what it means - it took me quite a while, before I became fluent in Hebrew...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tobs, after pondering this sign for a good 20 minutes, I'm still clueless as to why it would be a favorite... can you provide any hints?

Anonymous said...

Oh! I got it - it's the English, I was looking at the Hebrew. Excellent sign.

toby said...

Rach, first of all, if you're spending 20 minutes pondering my sign, you've got way too much time on your hands. Maybe you should try creative writing :)
The sign makes sense to any fluent Hebrew reader, it's true, but when I first saw it in the early 1990's, it really boggled me. Maybe I just enjoy it now because it's been there for so long, unchanged.
Anyway, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that what I find obvious, most people don't. So maybe this blog will be less of a "let's see what funny thing Toby posted today" and more of a "why on Earth did Toby think this was a good thing to post" quiz. Good luck everyone!